Local Sustainability Resources
Milwaukee has several different resources to help residents learn more about sustainability and live more sustainably. There are also several opportunities to get more involved in the greater Milwaukee area. Here is a list to help get you started.
Higher Education Resources
National Sustainability Resources
Here are a few examples of national agencies and organizations that are working to create a more sustainable future.
Catholic groups and organizations, along with all other major religions, are getting more involved in the sustainability movement. Here a few resources and addresses that help show the connection between the Church and sustainability movement.
Green web sites
There are thousands of Web sites devoted to all things "green," and it can be hard to choose between them all. Here is a list of some popular web sites offering insight on sustainable business, lifestyle, technology, and will also keep you up-to-date on all things green.
provides clear, concise, accurate, and balanced information, resources, and learning opportunities to help companies of all sizes and sectors integrate environmental responsibility into their operations in a manner that supports profitable business practices.
a weblog devoted to the future of design, tracking the innovations in technology, practices and materials that are pushing architecture and home design towards a smarter and more sustainable future.
- It's Getting Hot in Here:
the voice of a growing movement – a collection of voices from the student and youth leaders of the global movement to stop global warming. Originally created by youth leaders to allow youth to report from the International Climate Negotiations in Montreal in 2005, It’s Getting Hot in Here has since grown into a global online community with over 300 writers from countries around the world.
has been reporting environmental news and commentary with a wry twist since 1999. Now that green is in every headline and on every store shelf (bamboo hair gel, anyone?), Grist is the one site you can count on to help you make sense of it all.
- Mother Nature Network (MNN): Mother Nature Network is the world's most visited environmental and social responsibility online network. It’s sites generate more than seven million visits a month. Engaging, non-political, and easy-to-understand, MNN is designed for a mainstream audience. MNN content goes well beyond traditional "green" issues - encompassing a broad range of news and sustainable living topics - including family, health, home, safety, technology, community involvement, and personal finance.
- Triple Pundit: is an innovative new-media company for the business community that cultivates awareness and understanding of the triple bottom line. We provide expert editorial coverage, news and discussions on sustainable business in the 21st century.
Just for fun
- The Story of Stuff -
The Story of Stuff is one of the most watched environmental-themed online movies of all time.
- iFixit: The free repair manual.
- Instructables: A wonderful site for DIY projects.
- GoodGuide: GoodGuide provides the world's largest and most reliable source of information on health, environmental, and social impacts of consumer products.
The Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) advances high-potential, high-impact energy technologies that are too early for private-sector investment. ARPA-E awardees are unique because they are developing entirely new ways to generate, store, and use energy.
- Zero Waste Home: This site acts as a guide for creating a more waste-free lifestyle and home.