Speech Patholology and Audiology student


FAQs - Graduate Program

What are the average GPA and GRE scores for students admitted to the program?

Average scores for all applicants either admitted or placed on the waiting list for Fall 2013 were:

GPA 3.78
GRE Verbal 152
GRE Quantitative 150
GRE Analytical Writing 4.23
What is the pass rate for your graduate students taking the Praxis examination for the first time?

Marquette University Speech-Language Pathology Praxis Exam Pass Rate (first attempt) for the past five years (2008 - 2012) is 100%.

What is the program completion rate for your graduate students?
Completion rate of our speech-language pathology graduate program over the past five years has been 93% - 100%. Click here for detailed information.
What is the employment rate for your graduate students?
All students within the past decade (which is as far back as we checked the records) found employment upon graduation. The vast majority of our students have secured employment before graduating.
What are the requirements for those applying to the graduate program with an undergraduate major other than speech pathology and audiology or communicative disorders?

The MU Speech-Language Pathology graduate program accepts students with undergraduate degrees other than speech pathology and audiology or communicative disorders. In recent years, students with majors in Psychology, Linguistics, Communication, English, and Biology have been accepted. Applications are evaluated based on the applicants overall academic record (e.g., grades, GRE scores, letters of recommendation) as well as expressed reasons for wanting to enter the field. Some applicants choose to complete coursework that parallels a typical undergraduate major in speech pathology and audiology before applying to graduate school. Others simply apply and, if accepted, take that coursework as part of their graduate program.

Click here for more information.

What kind of building/facilities do you have?
The graduate program is housed in a state-of-the-profession facility in Cramer Hall. View photos of the building, including the clinic, student work areas, research laboratories, and classrooms.
Is the graduate program clinical, medical, research or education based?
Clinical - on campus MU Speech and Hearing Clinic provides assessment and treatment services for all ages. Master’s level clinical instructors provide supervision in the campus clinic.
Medical - all students participate in a semester-long off-campus placement in a medical setting (acute care hospitals, rehabilitation hospitals specialty clinic, a community hospital, a skilled nursing facility, etc.)
Research - scholarly productivity of the faculty with opportunity for students to work in their labs.
Education - all students participate in a semester-long, off-campus placement in a public school setting. This placement satisfies the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) for a student practicum as well as supplying a significant number of ASHA-approved clock hours and a meaningful apprenticeship in providing school-based clinical services.
What types of clinical experiences are a part of the Master's program, and what additional opportunities are there for Master's students with particular interests?
All speech-language pathology graduate students participate in the clinical experiences on and off campus. Click here for more details.
Is there work being done with acquired speech and language disorders including aphasia and traumatic brain injuries?

There are many opportunities in the MUSHC including Intensive Aphasia Program (IAP), aphasia groups, aphasia book club, conversation groups, and our signature Coffee, Cards, and Conversation©. Visit the Speech and Hearing Clinic for a complete list and detailed description.

In addition, students participate in off-campus medical placements providing a range of experiences with this population in both acute and rehabilitation settings.

Are students expected to travel for clinical placements? If so, how often?

Students are required to travel to off-campus medical and public school practica during their second year in the program. All placements are made within a 60 mile radius of the Marquette campus. The majority of placements are within a 20 mile radius. Many practica sites are accessible using public transportation. Students can express preferences for their off campus placements, including geographical location. All off-campus clinical placements are a minimum of three days per week, but most are four to five days per week.

How do you judge the transfer of graduate level courses to your program?
The Graduate School allows the transfer of up to 12 graduate credits into the M.S. program. The Director of Graduate Studies in Speech-Language Pathology evaluates any previous graduate work in the field and makes recommendations to the Graduate School.
Does Marquette University offer a Ph.D. program in Speech Pathology or a graduate program in Audiology?
What is the average cost of living? Is there housing set aside for graduate students? If not, is there available housing nearby?

Marquette does not own housing specifically for graduate students. The Marquette neighborhood and the Greater Milwaukee community provide a wide variety of housing options for graduate students and families. The Office of University Apartments & Off-campus Student Services can help direct your search for housing that will suit your needs during your time at Marquette. The office also publishes the Tenant Guide, the primary resource students use to find housing in the near-Marquette neighborhood. The guide not only lists a majority of the properties located in the immediate Marquette neighborhood, but it also offers useful information on safety, budgeting, and campus and community resources. You may contact their office at 414-288-7281 or you can access a variety of resources online.

Do students have their own personal place to study and work?

Yes. A very nice feature of our program’s space in Cramer Hall is the Student Computer Lab and the Student Workroom and Lounge. View photos of these student spaces (photos 12-16).

Cramer Hall also has a student lounge shared by students in the College of Health Sciences.

Graduate students completing a thesis or other research project are eligible to receive individual research carrels in the university library. The research carrel policy can be found at: http://www.marquette.edu/library/services/research_carrel.shtml.

Do many Master's students in your program complete a thesis, and do they still usually finish in the same amount of time?
Because of the coursework requirements (46 graduate credits) and practicum requirements (375 clock hours plus 25 observation hours) that must be met in a two year (5 term) program, nearly all students elect the non-thesis option for their degree. We average less than one student per graduate class who completes a thesis. The thesis option requires a 6 credit Thesis registration. If this replaces two other graduate classes (two courses @ 3 credits = 6 credits), then the degree can still be completed in the two year timeframe. If it is done in addition to other graduate credits (i.e., the student completes a total of 52 graduate credits), then an additional term is typically required.
When does the Fall semester begin?
Fall classes usually start on the last Monday in August. Click here to view the academic calendar. There are two orientation sessions, both held the week prior to the first day of classes. The Graduate School orientation is Thursday evening. The Program in Speech-Language Pathology orientation is Friday morning.
What types of opportunities do the students have to work with diverse populations and early childhood? The program offers a bilingual emphasis - are the students working on their bilingual certificates the only students that work with the Latino population?
The Milwaukee metropolitan area is racially, ethnically and culturally diverse. Therefore, the clinical populations we serve in the MUSHC and at public school and medical off-campus practicum sites reflect this diversity.
How well do the faculty get to know the students?

The Ignatian Philosophy of Cura Personalis* is embraced in the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology. As a faculty, we know our graduate students very well and are dedicated to supporting their academic and clinical growth.

*Cura Personalis – care for the whole person.
What is the policy regarding students with communicative disorders or who are non-native speakers of English?
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology at Marquette University is dedicated to graduating students with optimum preparation for successful careers in the profession of communication disorders. Since voice, fluency, articulation, language or hearing impairments may interfere with a clinician’s ability to effectively treat persons with impairments of communication, we encourage students in our program with such impairments to seek treatment. Our department supports the position of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association in encouraging persons of diverse backgrounds to enter the field of communication disorders. All students in the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology must provide evidence of adequate written and verbal communication skills in Standard American English necessary to meet academic and clinical requirements. Non-native speakers of English will work closely with their advisors throughout the course of their study toward establishing this proficiency prior to enrollment in clinical practica. Students who speak with accents and/or dialects may seek assistance in improving these skills at the recommendation of department instructional staff.




Contact Speech Pathology and Audiology