Being victimized by sexual violence can leave emotional injuries as well as physical ones. Victims often suffer alone because crimes involving sexual violence are very personal. Talking with someone about what happened can help reduce your sense of isolation and start you on a path to healing.
All resources listed here are victim-centered and can assist you with referrals and support.
Confidential Resources On and Off Campus:
- The Counseling Center provides individual counseling on-campus and can be reached at 414-288-7172. Experienced mental health professionals staff the center from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and are also available on-call. Therapists provide both one-on-one and group counseling. All services are confidential.
- The Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) at Aurora Sinai Medical Center is open 24 hours a day. Staff there can address all issues including crisis counseling, injuries, STI testing and treatment, pregnancy and the gathering of physical evidence, as well as referrals for further care. All services at SATC are confidential. SATC can be reached at 414-219-5555.
- Medical professionals at Marquette University Medical Clinic can assist you with medical options, including evaluation and treatment for injuries and STIs, as well as pregnancy testing. All medical services are confidential. Marquette University Medical Clinic can be reached at 414-288-7184.
- The Healing Center offers sexual abuse survivors and their loved ones opportunities for healing by providing support, counseling, advocacy and community education. All services are confidential. The Healing Center can be reached at 414-671-HEAL (414-671-4325).
- Sojourner Family Peace Center provides a 24-hour domestic violence hotline and legal emergency assistance. All services are confidential. They can be reached at 414-276-1911.
- The Milwaukee LGBT Community Center is a home to the LGBT population of metro Milwaukee, providing culturally sensitive and competent educational, social, and health and wellness services that meet the needs of LGBT youth, adults and their allies. A Mental Health Clinic offers certified outpatient mental health care in a confidential setting. They can be reached at 414-271-2656.
Other Campus Resources (non-confidential)
Staff at the following offices will assist you in filing a report to the Department of Public Safety (and are required by law to do so).
- A victim advocate can be reached at 414-288-5244. The advocate can provided information about campus and community resources and support you through each step of the process.
- Campus Ministry provides spiritual support and counseling and can be reached at 414-288-6873. Campus ministers are available to meet with students and provide support.
- Marquette University Police Department officers are available 24/7 and can provide assistance if you are fearful for your safety. They are located at 16th Street Parking Structure and can be reached at 414-288-6800.
- Staff at the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center can provide you with additional information regarding support. The Center is located in the Alumni Memorial Union, Room 425 and can be
reached at 414-288-4975.