Clean-up and Safety
Mercury is toxic to the human nervous system. The developing brains of fetuses and infants are especially sensitive to mercury’s toxic effects. Mercury can be particularly hazardous because it can be easily absorbed through the lungs and into the bloodstream. Exposure to mercury vapors can occur when mercury products (such as thermometers and fluorescent lamps) are broken. Even very small amounts of mercury (several drops) may raise air concentrations to levels that may be harmful to human health.
Elemental mercury is a shiny liquid, silver-white in color and has many useful properties. It is the only metal that is liquid at room temperature. Mercury combines easily with other metals, is a good conductor of electricity and expands and contracts evenly with temperature changes. As a result, mercury has been used in many household, medical and industrial products like; thermometers and barometers, thermostats and old latex paints. Elemental mercury when spilled at room temperature can break up into small droplets and evaporate to form mercury vapor. The higher the room temperature the more mercury vapors will be released. Mercury vapors are also heavier than air and may linger in higher concentrations at the site of the spill.
- NEVER touch mercury with bare hands.
- NEVER use a vacuum cleaner on a mercury spill, it will cause vaporization.
- NEVER use a broom to cleanup a mercury spill; it will cause the mercury to
break up into smaller beads which will be difficult to collect.
- NEVER put mercury waste down the drain, in the trash or incinerator.
- NEVER use household cleaners to cleanup mercury spills.
Always call Environmental Health & Safety (414) 288-8411 for assistance whenever you have a mercury spill, after evaluation EH&S will contact a professional emergency response contractor to come in and properly cleanup the spill.
Steps in mercury spill clean-up
- EVACUATE THE SPILL AREA: If people were in the room when the spill occurred, be sure that their shoes, clothing, and other articles have not been splashed with mercury before they leave the room. If mercury has contaminated any clothing or articles, remove these items from the person and place them in a plastic bag. Keep everyone else, out of the spill area to prevent tracking. Keep the mercury from spreading into cracks, crevices, floor drains or onto sloped or porous surfaces, which are difficult to clean. If necessary, use masking tape or duct tape to make a vertical "fence" around the mercury droplets and confine them to a limited area for clean-up. Wash any exposed skin with soap and water.
- LOWER the TEMPERATURE by turning down the thermostat. The cooler the temperature, the less mercury vapors will be released into the air. Mercury vapors are odorless and colorless.
- TURN OFF CENTRAL VENTILATING OR AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS that could circulate air from the spill area to other parts of the home or building.
- CLOSE INTERIOR DOORS leading to other rooms, but VENTILATE THE ROOM WITH THE SPILL TO THE OUTDOORS by opening windows and any exterior doors. Place fans, facing out, in open windows or doors to speed up ventilation.
- POST SPILL WARNING SIGNS by entrances notifying personnel that a mercury spill has occurred and they should stay out of the area. Identify the contact person for responding personal.