Event and Emergency Management Plan
The focus of all emergency planning is the safety and security of our Marquette students and staff.
The university has a detailed Event and Emergency Management Plan that has been shared with local law enforcement and emergency management agencies. The plan includes provisions for declaring a campus state of emergency, activating an Emergency Operations Center, emergency notification and communication procedures, and mutual aid agreements.
Marquette has several key resources for dealing with a crisis.
- Our Department of Public Safety is a highly qualified force of armed officers and prevention specialists who receive annual training in handling a variety of crisis situations, including an active shooter.
- The university’s plan has been tested and refined in both tabletop exercises and a simulated emergency situation. The plan calls for utilizing all available means of communication in the event of imminent danger; this includes e-mail, text messaging, the university website, university voice mail, Access TV message boards, postings in buildings both on and off campus and use of megaphones or other devices as needed.
- An electronic lock system allows the Department of Public Safety to lockdown all academic buildings using technology; all residence halls have a lockdown mechanism at the front desks, which are staffed 24 hours a day.
- The Department of Public Safety has a close working relationship with the Milwaukee Police Department and numerous other local and state law enforcement and emergency management agencies.
- As part of its emergency planning, the university has identified and trained emergency coordinators in every building on campus, and fire marshals have been identified in every department. The emphasis is on preventive measures, especially awareness of the unusual, such as suspicious packages or individuals, doors pried open that should be locked, leaks and odors. These individuals will also assist with notification and evacuation as necessary.
Security is everyone's business. If anyone indicates a concern about his or her personal safety or that of a friend, please encourage him or her to immediately notify Public Safety at (414) 288-6800.
On a day-to-day basis, Marquette's Department of Public Safety and all university offices work to create a safe environment for everyone at Marquette and to help both students and employees develop lifelong safety habits.