My research focuses on the pursuit of neurobiological, cognitive, and psychosocial approaches toward understanding and enhancing learning, remembering and executive functions in normal aging and dementia. Specifically, I have two primary and interrelated branches to my research program.
AIM Lab (left to right): David Marra, Riley Marinelli, Christina Figueroa, Dr. Nielson, Katie Hazlett, Anthony Correro, and Kate Reiter at the Nora Finnigan Werra Faculty Achievement Award (Association of Marquette University Women) luncheon, 2014.
First, I study memory formation and memory consolidation and the treatments and individual differences that influence it. Second, I study the neurobiological, physiological, and cognitive foundations of age- and dementia-related cognitive decline, along with methods designed to prevent or reverse such declines. Studies in the lab involve both graduate and undergraduate researchers as investigators, presenters and authors.
Current studies include:
- studies of various agents and techniques, such as muscle tension, that may enhance memory via arousal mechanisms;
- studies of the effects of emotion, thrill-seeking (such as skydiving), alexithymia and emotion regulation strategies on memory and executive functioning;
- modulation of false memory and forgetting;
- investigation of the physiological foundations of neural changes with age and the risk factors that interact with them, usingMRI and fMRI;
- investigations of the utility of EEG as a biomarker of AD using executive functioning and memory tasks.
- Steve Byers, M.S. (Intern at Life Skills, Cadillac, MI, 2015-2016)
- Anthony Correro, M.S.
- Christina Figueroa, M.S. (Intern at Brown University, Providence, R.I., 2015-2016)
- Katie Hazlett, M.S. (Intern at Rush University, Chicago, IL, 2015-2016)
- David Marra, B.S.
- Katherine Reiter, M.S.
Current Undergraduate Research Assistants
- Michelle Berman
- Caroline Gilger
- Aleeza Kanner
- Joshua Krueger
- Ashley Langford
- Ann Lisowski
- Marie Mejaki
- Markie Pasternak
- Angela Preston
- Jordan Ruff
- Megan Spoo
Notable Lab Alumni
- Scott A. Langenecker, Ph.D.
- Riley Marinelli, B.A., D.P.T student at Northwestern University
- Mitchell A. Meltzer, Ph.D.
- Andrew Newsom, Ph.D.
- Mark Powless, Ph.D.
- Julie Riderer, M.S.
- Linda F. Stone, Ph.D.
- Laura Klockow Wulff, Ph.D.
- Douglas Yee, M.S.
Where are you now? E-mail us to let us know!