1) Regular Sabbatical Fellowship:
Award provides academic year support at 100% of salary, minus grant or contract offset.
2) Way Klingler Sabbatical Fellowship:
Award provides academic year support at 100% of salary, minus grant or contract offset; two-months of summer pay; and $10,000 in operating expenses.
Application to the program requires a sabbatical plan and supporting letters. Faculty are encouraged to begin planning the submission of a proposal the summer before the deadline for the usual sabbatical plans (generally October 15).
The Sabbatical Review Committee will judge applications by prior scholarly research and potential for substantive contribution to the discipline. The Committee will provide recommendations to the Office of the Provost regarding the award of a fully funded academic year sabbatical. Applications for the award are to be submitted by the deadline for sabbatical plans as described in the Sabbatical Handbook. The proposal shall also serve as a sabbatical plan for evaluation in the sabbatical program. If an application is not selected for an award, the faculty member has the option of taking a semester only sabbatical. Eligible proposals shall be for research-related efforts. Proposals for the Sabbatical Fellowship Program must include;
1. A cover page that specifically states that the proposal is submitted for consideration under the Sabbatical Fellowship Program. Sabbatical Review Committee recommends which faculty get one of the two fellowships available to the Provost.
2. Three written external recommendation letters regarding the quality of the proposed research and/or the faculty's research record and addressed to Dr. John Pauly, Provost. Letters are external to University employees. Please have letters sent to faculty member for inclusion in the original document and eight (8) copies.
3. A recommendation letter from the Department Chair or a Marquette colleague who is familiar with the proposed work or the faculty's work. Please have letter sent to faculty member for inclusion in the original document and eight (8) copies.
4. Sabbatical plan as described in the Sabbatical Handbook.
Sabbatical Review Board, Updated September 2007