Core of Common Studies Course List
Students are required to complete a minimum of 36 credit hours of core courses. College curricula may require additional courses, so check with your department.
Course List & Credit Requirements
- Rhetoric (R) (6 credit hours)
- Mathematical Reasoning (MR) (3 credit hours)
- Individual and Social Behavior (ISB) (3 credit hours)
- Diverse Cultures (DC) (3 credit hours)
- Literature/Performing Arts (LPA) (3 credit hours)
- Histories of Cultures and Societies (HCS) (3 credit hours)
- Science and Nature (SN) (3 credit hours)
- Human Nature and Ethics (HNE) (6 credit hours)
- Theology (T) (6 credit hours)
Dual Application Courses
Each student may count one dual application course toward his or her 36-credit-hour core requirement. A dual-application core course satisfies core course requirements in two knowledge areas. For example, History 1301, Latin America, would satisfy three credit hours in both the Histories of Cultures and Societies knowledge area and the Diverse Cultures knowledge area. A student who takes the dual application core course satisfies the 36 credit hours of core requirements by taking 33 credits of core courses. A dual application course may not simultaneously fulfill the core knowledge area of both Theology and Human Nature and Ethics.
Please note: courses are periodically added and removed from the list of approved courses. Once a UCCS course has been discontinued it is no longer a valid course option for UCCS unless taken prior to the discontinuation.