Dr. Neumann’s clinical background as a physical therapist started at Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center, in Virginia, where he concentrated on the rehabilitation of persons following spinal cord injury. After completing his graduate studies, Don joined the faculty at Marquette University in1986, where he is currently a Professor in the Department of Physical Therapy.
Many of Dr. Neumann’s published research articles have been funded by the National Arthritis Foundation. Through funding from the Paralyzed Veterans of America, Don has produced educational videos entitled: Kinesiologic Principles to Enhance the Functional and Movement Potential in Persons with Quadriplegia.
Don is the author of Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System: Foundations for Rehabilitation, published by Elsevier (2010) and co-author of Essentials of Kinesiology for the Physical Therapist Assistant (Elsevier, 2009). Don is also Associate Editor of the Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy.
Since 1988, each July Dr. Neumann directs a four-day human gross anatomy dissection course for a wide range of medical and health professionals. This very popular course, presented on the campus of Marquette University, combines anatomy dissection and lectures on kinesiology.
- Ph.D., Exercise Science, University of Iowa
- M.S., Science Education, University of Florida
- B.S., Physical Therapy, University of Florida
- PHTH 7525 Kinesiology of the Upper Extremity
- PHTH 7526 Kinesiology of the Trunk and Lower Extremity
- Guest lecturer in several other courses
Awards and Honors
- Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the APTA, 2008
- Honorary doctorate degree from the Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education, 2007
- Wisconsin’s College Professor of the Year, Carnegie Foundation, 2006
- James Gould Excellence in Teaching Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Award for outstanding teaching the area of orthopedic physical therapy, Section of Orthopaedics, APTA, 2004
- Jack Walker Award for the best article on clinical research published in Physical Therapy in 1999
- Dorothy J. Baethke - Eleanor J. Carlin Award for excellence in academic teaching, APTA, 1997
- Teacher of the Year Award, Marquette University, 1994
- Eugene Michels New Investigator Award for outstanding research by a young investigator, APTA, 1991
- Steven J. Rose Endowment Award for excellence in orthopaedic physical therapy research, APTA, 1989
- Mary McMillan Scholarship Award, presented by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), 1985
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award, Shinshu University, Matsumoto, Japan, 2010
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award, Semmelweis Medical University, Budapest, Hungary 2005, 2006
- Fulbright Scholarship, Kaunas Medical University, Lithuania, 2002
- American Physical Therapy Association, 1975-present
- Wisconsin chapter of the APTA, 1986-present
- Section on Orthopeadics (APTA), 2002-present