Marquette University maintains a no weapons allowed
policy to the extent permitted under 2011 Wisconsin Act
35, which authorizes the carrying of concealed weapons
by licensed individuals. The university complies with
applicable state and federal statutes and local ordinances
regarding the possession of firearms or other dangerous
weapons. The policy, in its entirety, may be viewed at:
The university prohibits the possession of weapons in
campus buildings, including both academic and office
facilities and residence halls. Specifically, students are not
- Carry any weapons on university property except as
expressly permitted by applicable State law.
- Openly carry any weapons on university property.
- Carry any weapons in any university building or leased
space or at any university special event marked with
signage specifying “Weapons are prohibited in
- Carry or store any weapon in a university owned or
- Store any weapon in a personally owned vehicle
on university property except in the vehicle’s glove
compartment or trunk, or encased such that the
existence of the weapon is concealed. Encased means
completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise
fastened, with no part of the weapon exposed.
- Fail to lock a personally owned vehicle on university
property that contains any weapon when the student is
not present in the vehicle.
- Possess unloaded ammunition on university property.
- Imply possession of, threaten to use, display, brandish,
use, or discharge a weapon on university property for
any purpose or reason except lawful self-defense or
lawful defense of others.
- Sell or serve alcohol on university property to any
person whom the employee has reason to believe is
carrying a concealed weapon.
- Fail to report timely to the Marquette University Police Department the presence on university property of
any person whom the student has reason to believe
is in possession of or carrying a weapon in violation
of university policy, unless doing so would subject the student to others to the threat of physical harm, or
take other action in response to the presence of any
person whom the student has reason to believe is
in possession of or carrying a weapon in violation of
university policy except for reporting the presence of
the weapon to the Marquette University Police Department.
Students are subject to proceedings under the student
conduct process for any violations of these requirements.
The Marquette University Police Department offers students the
opportunity to store weapons in an off-campus location.