Students asking questions of another student working at Marquette's information desk

F-1 Students

Marquette F-1 students are authorized to work on the Marquette campus. In general, jobs which are considered to be "on-campus employment" are paid from Marquette University funds and performed on Marquette University property. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week when school is in session and may be full-time during school vacations.

How to obtain on-campus employment:

  1. Begin by logging in to the student employment database called JobConnection using your Checkmarq username and password.
  2. After you have received an offer of employment from a campus employer, read the Federal Regulations about on-campus employment and complete the following form:

    Then, visit the Office of International Education (OIE) to request a letter titled Confirmation of On-Campus Employment Authorization. Bring your:

    • Passport
    • Form I-20

    The OIE assistant will return your passport and Form I-20 to you immediately and will arrange a time for you to return to OIE to pick up your confirmation letter.

  3. Apply for a Social Security number from the Social Security Administration office in downtown Milwaukee, if you do not already have a number.
  4. You will need to visit the Office of Student Employment Services on your first day of employment to complete necessary papers for payroll authorization. Your employer will provide you with a JobConnection placement form which you will bring with you to complete the I-9 form, Direct Deposit form, and the OSHA form. The Office of Student Employment is  located at 1250 W. Wisconsin Ave—Zilber Hall—first floor MU Central. Office hours are Monday–Friday, 8:00am–4:30pm.

    • Bring your passport, your Form I-20, your Form I-94 or printed I-94 verification, and the Confirmation of Authorization for On-campus Employment letter (not the letter used to obtain a Social Security number).
    • Fill out the I-9 and other forms as directed.
    • If you have questions or a problem contact:
  5. After you have been offered a job on campus and no later than your third day of work, visit the Comptroller’s Office to complete required tax forms. The Comptroller’s Office is located in Straz Tower, 915 West Wisconsin Avenue, room 175. Office hours are Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 1:30-4:30pm and by appointment.

    • Bring your passport with your visa, your Form I-20 and your Form I-94 or printed I-94 verification. Also bring your Social Security card if you have it.
    • Fill out the Foreign National Information Form available there.
    • If you are from a country that has a tax treaty with the United States, then you will need to complete additional forms available there.


Marquette University

Marquette is a Catholic, Jesuit university in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with an enrollment of nearly 12,000 students, more than 700 of whom are international students. Seeking a transformational education, they come from 68 countries — from Canada to China, from Mexico to Malaysia, and everywhere in between.