- Focuses on core concepts of spiritual formation; professionalism; shalom as health and wholeness; and community, incorporating culture and diversity.
- Encourages individual spiritual growth.
- Is developed from a Judeo-Christian theological framework of care and is applicable to and respectful of other faith traditions.
- Is inclusive of socio-cultural and geographic diversity including ethnicity, gender, lifestyle, sexual orientation and faith traditions.
- Includes various ways of thinking and knowing such as the application of the nursing process which involves assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation; a theological perspective is also emphasized.
- Develops the nurse for a leadership role in collaborative health ministry.
- Supplies the content to develop and sustain a parish nursing practice.
- Fosters interdisciplinary collaboration among educators.