Independent study classes provide students the opportunity to study with a faculty member and investigate areas of interest that are not available through the normal class offerings.
To register for an independent study class:
- Consult with the faculty of choice to determine a specific title, number of credits, term and session of the class.
- Complete the appropriate independent study form listed below.
- Obtain the necessary signatures.
- Submit the form to the college/school office of the college/school offering the course by the deadline set by the college/school.
a. Traditional Students: all undergraduate students' forms (other than those enrolled in the College
of Professional Studies) must have the independent study request form submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the Thursday of the 1st week of Session 1, regardless of the session in which the independent study is held; thus, the colleges will have an earlier deadline for receipt of the form.
b. Professional Studies students: must have the independent study request form submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the Thursday of the 1st week of the session in which enrollment is desired; thus, the College of Professional Studies will have an earlier deadline for receipt of the form.
- If approved, the college/school office will forward the form to the Office of the Registrar.
- The Office of the Registrar will register the student for the independent study class upon receipt of the approved form and the course will appear in CheckMarq on the class schedule of the student.
It is important to note that students should always register via CheckMarq for all other classes during the registration appointment time and not wait for the independent study to be approved before registering.