Associate Professor (Emeritus)
Classes typically taught:
- Finite Mathematics
- Linear Algebra
- Abstract Algebra
- Foundations of Geometry
- Regular and inverse semigroups
- Embedding theorems for semigroups
- College Mathematics for Business, Economics, Life Sciences, and Social Sciences, Twelveth Edition, (with Raymond A. Barnett and Michael R. Ziegler) Prentice-Hall, 2011.
- Embedding any countable semigroup in a 2-generated congruence-free semigroup, Semigroup Forum 41 (1990) 145-153.
- Embedding any countable semigroup without idempotents in a 2-generated simple semigroup without idempotents, Glasgow Math. J. 30 (1988), 121-128.
- Karl Byleen, and Francis Pastijn. Implications for Semigroups Embeddable in Orthocryptogroups, Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics 17 (1987), 463-478.
- Karl Byleen. Inverse Semigroups With Countable Universal Semilattices, Semigroups and Their Applications: Proceedings of the International Conference Held at the California State University, April 10-12, 1986 (edited by Simon M. Goberstein and Peter M. Higgins), D. Reidel (1987), pp. 37-42.