|Administrative History: Consistent with the traditions of Jesuit
education, speech instruction and activities have played a major role in the academic life of Marquette
University from its beginning in 1881. In 1910, these were organized as a departmental unit, and in
1926, the School of Speech was organized as a division of the University. In 1973, the unit was
designated the College of Speech.
Both the College of Speech and the College of Journalism were physically relocated in 1975 in the remodeled and renovated Johnston Hall. Here they shared in the facilities common to both academic disciplines. In sharing the facilities and through curriculum studies, the faculties of both colleges found a mutual concern for the growth and place of communication studies.
Consequently, in 1985 a Division of Communication and Performing Arts was created to establish a common year of studies for all entering freshmen in the two colleges. In the fall of 1988, the Division of Communication and Performing Arts and the two colleges were merged into the College of Communication, Journalism and Performing Arts with six departments. In 1994, the name of the college was changed to simply the College of Communication (see UNIV C-19).
Directors and Deans of the College of Speech:
Michael J. Price, 1981-1988 (Acting, 1981-1983)
Alfred J. Sokolnicki, 1969-1981
Hugo E. Hellman, 1940-1969 (Acting, 1940-1941)
William M. Lamers, 1930-1941
William Richard Duffey, 1926-1930
Arrangement: This record group is arranged into three main series.
|Series 1||Administrative Subject Files, 1922-1990|
|Series 1.1||Administrative Subject Files, 1971-1988 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)|
|Series 2||Faculty Files, 1966-1977|
|Series 2-AJS||Alfred J. Sokolnicki Papers, 1936-1985|
|Series 2.1||Former Faculty Files, 1942-1989 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)|
|Series 3||Student Files, 1942-1943|
|Series 4||Sound Recordings, 1967-1976|