C-2 College of Journalism, 1915-1988
|Administrative History: In 1910, the first courses in journalism at Marquette University were offered by the Rev. John E. Copus, S.J., in the
School of Economics. In 1915, the College of Journalism became an independent unit of the University, and became publisher of The Hilltop, The Marquette
Tribune, and The Marquette Journal (see UNIV D-6, series 2). In 1917, the course of studies
in the college was expanded to a four-year program and included cultural as well as journalistic branches of learning.
Both the College of Speech and the College of Journalism were physically relocated in 1975 in the remodeled and renovated Johnston Hall. Here they shared in the facilities common to both academic disciplines. In sharing the facilities and through curriculum studies, the faculties of both colleges found a mutual concern for the growth and place of communication studies.
Consequently, in 1985 a Division of Communication and Performing Arts was created to establish a common year of studies for all entering freshmen in the two colleges. In the fall of 1988, the Division of Communication and Performing Arts and the two colleges were merged into the College of Communication, Journalism and Performing Arts with six departments. In 1994, the name of the college was changed to simply the College of Communication (see UNIV C-19).
Deans of the College of Journalism:
Sharon M. Murphy, 1984-1988
Arrangement:; This record group is arranged into six main series.
Restrictions: Access to select records is restricted to designated College of Communication staff. Otherwise, access to these records is unrestricted. However, the researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright which may be involved in the use of these records. Consult an archivist for further information.
|Series 1||Administrative Subject Files, 1910-1993|
|Series 1.1||Administrative Subject Files, 1939-1992 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)|
|Series 2||Faculty Files, 1952-1974|
|Series 2-ALL||Alfred L. Lorenz Papers, 1972-1979|
|Series 2-WGB||Warren G. Bovee Papers, 1940-1998|
|Series 2-DH||David R. Host Papers, 1942-1977|
|Series 2-EHH||Earl H. Huth Scrapbooks, ca. 1930s-1940s|
|Series 2-AR||Albion Ross Papers, 1964-1974|
|Series 2-LGS||Lucas G. Staudacher Papers, 1951-1985|
|Series 2.1||Faculty/Staff Files, 1910-1989 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)|
|Series 3||Student Files, 1929-1975|
|Series 4||Journalism Associations, 1910-1983|
|Series 5||Research and Studies, 1949-1980|
|Series 6||Alumni, 1910-1983|