- Apply Today
- Master's and Doctoral Programs
- Application Instructions
- Request Information
- Contact the Graduate School
- Schedule a Campus Visit
- Graduate Bulletin
- Graduate School Staff
- Contributing to the Graduate School
Deferral of Admission
How to Use This Form
This form is to be used by students who have been offered admission to the Graduate School at Marquette University, and who would like to request that such admission be deferred for a maximum of one year. Note that this deferral is for admission only, and not for merit-based financial aid (teaching/research assistantships, scholarships, and fellowships).
If merit-based financial aid was part of the original offer of admission, the financial aid will not be deferred, and the student must compete a new application for financial aid for the term of deferral (if approved).
Some departments accept new students only in the fall. It is the student's responsibility to find out if spring or summer admissions are allowed. If you need any assistance completing this form, please contact the Graduate School at 414-288-7137.
- This form must be filled out completely, and must include a reason that the deferral is being requested.
- The requested deferral must be for a specific term, and may not exceed one year from the original term of admission.
- Students offered admission to the Speech-Language Pathology program and Direct Entry Nursing program do not have the option to defer their admission decision.
- The completed form must be submitted to the Graduate School no later than the first day of classes of the term of original admission. If the request is not received by the first day of classes, the request for deferral may be disapproved.
- The completed form will be forwarded to the academic department for their review. The form will then be returned to the Graduate School for processing.
- The student will be notified in writing of the decision regarding the deferral request.
- Financial Aid Consideration - If the deferral is granted, you will be reconsidered for merit-based assistantships and tuition scholarships only if you submit the Financial Aid Application for Admitted Students form at by the appropriate financial aid competition deadline.
Please fill out the following form.