Delta Phi Alpha
"The National German Honor Society, Delta Phi Alpha, seeks to recognize excellence in the study of German and to provide an incentive for higher scholarship. The Society aims to promote the study of the German language, literature and civilization and endeavors to emphasize those aspects of German life and culture which are of universal value and which contribute to humanity's eternal search for peace and truth."
Events sponsored by Chapter Gamma Iota at Marquette include;
- an annual Oktoberfest (actually a grand-scale celebration of Gratis Wurst, with several hundred well-prepared brats are served to happy passers-by)
- an annual German information social, to plan activities, meet faculty, other German students, and highlight student achievement
- a sale of hand-made Christmas cards featuring German art
- a celebration of Mass in German
- films, lectures
- special projects, such as commemorations of the 15th and 20 anniversaries of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- an initiation dinner featuring a home-cooked meal
Eta Sigma Phi, The National Classics Honorary Society
- Founded in 1914 at the University of Chicago, Eta Sigma Phi honors students who have excelled in their study of Latin or Ancient Greek at the university level and promotes local interest in the cultures and civilizations of Ancient Greece and Rome.
- Marquette’s Beta Sigma Chapter (1950) offers every year two prestigious cash awards to students who complete outstanding translations: The President's Latin Contest, one award at the intermediate level of Latin and one award at the advanced level. Another award recognizes outstanding achievement in Classical Greek, the Peter Theis Memorial Award.
Pi Delta Phi
Pi Delta Phi, established in 1906, is the French National Honor Society for undergraduate and graduate students at accredited public and private colleges and universities in the United States. There are currently more than 330 chapters of the Society in the United States and two representative chapters at the American Universities in Paris and Aix-en-Provence in France. The society was admitted to membership in the Association of College Honor Societies in 1967.
- The purpose of the Society is to recognize outstanding scholarship in the French language and its literatures, to increase the knowledge and appreciation of Americans for the cultural contributions of the French-speaking world, and to stimulate and to encourage French and francophone cultural activities.
- The Pi Delta Phi Book Gift Certificate Award is granted to the student or students who best meet the Pi Delta Phi mission of academic excellence and dissemination of French and Francophone cultural activities.
- The Marquette University Executive Board for the 2011-2012 academic year:
Ciara McHugh and Angela Bublitz as Co-Presidents
Sally Nadeau as Treasurer.
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society
Founded at the University of Berkeley in 1919, Sigma Delta Pi strives to unite university students of Spanish who are inspired by the language and the rich culture of ideas from Spain and Latin America. It is the only organization officially recognized by the American Association of College Honor Societies in the area of Hispanic studies. Currently it has 582 chapters throughout the U.S.
- Marquette’s Gamma Gamma Chapter (1950) has been recognized as an outstanding chapter nationwide and has been awarded the prestigious Certificate of Honor and Merit for the last 18 years. The Gamma Gamma Chapter has also received the Spirit of Marquette Award for outstanding service and dedication to Milwaukee and the Marquette community as well as the Office of Student Development Award for Best Community Service Project (2008-10).
- Sigma Delta Pi offers every year twenty-seven prestigious summer travel scholarships to outstanding undergraduates to study in Mexico, Ecuador, and Spain. It also offers three summer research scholarships for graduate student projects, granted on a very competitive basis. The Gabriela Mistral Award is granted yearly to the student who best symbolizes the spirit of this Society in words and deeds.
- For more information, visit our web site at http://www.marquette.edu/fola/SigmaDeltaPi/ or the national website at www.sigmadeltapi.org.