At the completion of the Master of Arts or the Master of Arts in Teaching degrees in Spanish, the graduate will be able to:
- Explain the major figures, works, and literary periods of Hispanic literatures and their significance.
- Describe the development and current status of the Spanish language including its geolectal and sociolectal variants.
- Explain the cultural practices, products, and perspectives of the Hispanic world as expressed through literary, visual, and linguistic phenomena.
- Conduct research on relevant topics drawing from (1) literary, cultural, and/or linguistic sources, and (2) major theoretical approaches.
- (Applicable to Graduate Teaching Assistants in the program.) Apply to the teaching situation (1) the concepts of second language acquisition and (2) current approaches to teaching methodology.