If that simple phrase conjures up the image of a pair of Nikes, thank an advertiser. Whether it's through traditional or non-traditional media like YouTube and Facebook, advertising majors learn to combine memorable copy, creative design and innovation to create the messages that move consumers to action.
THE MARQUETTE advertising Major
CREATE YOUR OWN ADS. From print to digital media, you'll learn to design arresting ads in our Mac labs using layout and design programs such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and a variety of multimedia software.
AND THE "ADVERTISER OF THE YEAR IS"... Marquette advertising majors have won national recognition for proposals created for Saturn, Banc of America Investment Services, Toyota, The New York Times, Pizza Hut, Florida's tourism board and other clients.
as a Marquette advertising major, you can get involved with:
- Advertising Club
- Marquette-ing Club (American Marketing Association)
- Student Media Advertising
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. As a Marquette advertising major, you'll gain professional experience and pack your portfolio through local and national internships with employers such as MillerCoors, Walt Disney World, Adweek magazine, the Milwaukee Brewers, Six Flags Great America, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and Procter & Gamble.
LOCATION. From large national advertising agencies and corporate marketing departments to smaller, specialized ad shops, Marquette advertising majors find an abundance of internships throughout Milwaukee and Chicago, many of which lead to full-time employment after graduation.
GO NATIONAL. Participate in the Advertising Club (affiliated with the American Advertising Federation and the national Business Marketing Association) to get streetwise to what's happening in the dynamic world of advertising.
You might like the advertising major if you:
- have a creative imagination
- are a strong communicator
What can you do with a major in advertising?
You'll find Marquette's advertising graduates working in a variety of places. Some work in advertising agencies as copywriters, graphic designers, media buyers, account executives, etc. Others work as marketing managers or communication specialists for corporations and nonprofit organizations. Others work for media companies in advertising sales. Learn more about what you can do with a major in advertising.
Visit the department that offers the advertising major.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for an advertising major
Your major courses blue.
- Advertising Principles
- Contemporary Presentation
- Introduction to Communication
- Media in Society
- Rhetoric and Composition I
- Histories of Cultures and Societies Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Foreign Language or Diverse Cultures
- Major/Minor Electives
- Media Writing
- Digital Communication Design
- Intro to Communication Research Methods
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Intro to Visual Communication
- Modern Elementary Statistics
- Science and Nature Elective
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Literature Elective and Performing Arts
- Advertising Copywriting
- Strategic Research for Advertising and Public Relations
- Advertising Internship and/or Advertising Elective
- Ethical Problems of Mass Communication
- General Psychology
- Introduction to Theology
- Theory of Ethics
- Introduction to Marketing
- Advertising Media
- Advertising Campaigns
- Media Law
- Theology Elective