What We Look for in Your College Essay
There are no magic phrases or key words to include in your essay. You do not, for example, have to say you've wanted to attend Marquette since kindergarten. We use the essay to get to know a little more about you. This is the one chance you have to be creative in the application process; let your true self come through.
A few words about the essay:
- Relax and write.
- Proofread your essay; read it backward.
- Be thoughtful in your response, careful in your prose and neat in appearance.
- Be genuine. The essay should reflect what you want to write, not what you think we want to hear. Remember, we're not looking for anything in particular when we read your application.
- We want to make sure you can compose an essay with a coherent thought; that you have the ability to string together a few sentences and express an idea.
- There is no right answer.
- Dig deep and have fun!