MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED TO KNOW...
CHECK YOUR BURSAR BALANCE ON YOUR CHECKMARQ ACCOUNT
- If you have a credit balance on your account and have not received a refund for this semester, you are eligible to receive a partial or complete refund at this time. Please contact Kathy Falk at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- If you have an outstanding debit balance on your Bursar account and have not made special payment arrangements with our office to cover your balance, you will have a registration hold on your account and you will not be able to register for Spring Term 2017 classes in November.
- Go to CheckMarq to review your Bursar balance and messages appearing in yourStudent Center Holds box. If you see the message ‘Bursar Reg and Transcript Hold’, you have a registration hold on your account.
- Your hold is lifted once your semester balance is paid in full OR when you sign a Payment Arrangement Agreement with our office. PLEASE SEE JACKIE OR KATHY IMMEDIATELY IF YOU NEED TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO LIFT YOUR REGISTRATION HOLD.
- If you have a registration hold, it is YOUR responsibility to take all necessary action to remove your hold.
- HOLDS ARE NOT IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. Once you have met the necessary requirements for your hold to be lifted, it takes an average of 24 hours for your access to registration to be restored.
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW…
THERE WILL BE A NEW APPLICATION PROCESS IN EFFECT FOR THE 2017-18 AWARD YEAR
- The Federal Department of Education is implementing a new filing procedure called “Early FAFSA” or “Prior Prior Year/PPY”.
- Students (and parents, as appropriate) will be required to submit 2015 income and tax data on the 2017-18 FAFSA.
- 2015 income and tax data will be used to determine financial aid eligibility for the 2017-18 award year.
- FAFSAs can be submitted as early as October 1, 2016 for the 2017-18 award year. You must file by 01/15/2017 to meet the University’s 02/01/2017 priority deadline.
Please refer to FAFSA CHANGES for 2017-18 on the Marquette Central financial aid website for additional information.
CLEAN UP YOUR CHECKMARQ FINANCIAL AID RECORDS
- Go to your CheckMarq account and review your 2016-17 Aid Award.
- Accept or decline loans and/or Federal Work Study that are still listed as Offered but have not been Accepted or Declined.
- If you have questions about your loan offers or Federal Work Study or your financial aid award in general, contact our office.
PROCEDURE TO ACCESS FAFSA AND STUDENT LOAN WEBSITES
- FAFSA pin numbers are no longer valid for students and parents. If you have not done so already, you and your parent(s), if applicable, must create a new Username and Password at www.fafsa.ed.gov to apply for financial aid or to complete a Stafford loan promissory note.
- Although PIN numbers are no longer valid, you will need your PIN number to verify your identity if you still need to register for your new Username and Password.
- The Federal Student Aid website administered by the Department of Education can also answer questions you may have about the Username/Password requirement. Click here for additional information.
- Access and read your Marquette email on a regular basis. Important notices are sent via email from our office, the Office of Student Financial Aid, and the Bursar’s Office regarding important deadlines, documents you are required to submit, and information about your Bursar balance.
- Pay special attention to deadlines and make sure you take action and/or submit documents within the timeframe noted on any correspondence you receive.
- Make sure you regularly check your ‘To Do List’ in your CheckMarq Student Center for documents you need to submit or actions you need to take.
THIS AND THAT…
- Beware of scholarship or financial aid scams that request payment to receive information on scholarships or other forms of financial aid. You should never pay to receive scholarship information or apply for financial aid.
- If you have not done so already, sign up for Direct Deposit with the Office of the Bursar. This feature allows you to designate a bank account for the direct deposit of any refunds requested on your behalf. No more tracking down paper checks and running to the bank or ATM to make an in-person deposit. Click here for instructions on how to sign up for this timesaving feature.
- If you are interested in or are planning to Study-Abroad, please meet with Jackie Walker to discuss how your financial aid will be affected.
- Even though the academic year has begun, it’s still not too late to apply for outside, private scholarships. There are innumerable sources of assistance available. All scholarships are time sensitive with rolling deadline dates so check out current offerings now! Click here to begin your search.
- The following web sites also provide robust search tools to help you find private scholarships that best match your skills, strengths, and talents:
Money Geek Scholarship Search
Unigo Scholarship Search
Federal Student Aid