Antwerp 2012 Reunion
Antwerp summer program history
The Antwerp program began in 1992, sponsored by the University of Antwerp (formerly named UFSIA). Twenty-seven students participated the first year, under the directorship of Joe Terrian and Dr. Liliane Van Hoof. Wim Van Driessen joined the program in 1993. Over 703 students have participated over the past 20 years, including the summer of 2011, and consider themselves “Antwerpian Alumni.” Each year, the group stays at the same hotel, Ibis (known as the Arcade in the early 1990s) which alumni will be pleased to know now offers air conditioning.
• The reunion will occur immediately after the “Summer Class of 2012;” the summer program ends on Saturday and Joe Terrian will stay on for the reunion.
• Dr. Liliane Van Hoof, Wim Van Driessen and Joe Terrian will be in attendance during the entire reunion.
• Since all programs have resided at the Ibis Hotel, we will resume that tradition and provide discounted accommodations; of course, you can stay at any hotel of your choosing.
• Spouses and guests of students are most welcome to come.
• Teaching assistants and guests and/or spouses from all past years are welcome to attend.
• Please talk to your classmates that attended and encourage all to come!
Saturday, June 9 and Sunday, June 10 - Arrival
Saturday, June 9 [optional] - Pre-Reunion gathering (evening)
Sunday, June 10- OFFICIAL START OF THE 2012 REUNION
Opening welcome dinner (evening)
Monday, June 11 - Visits to Ghent and Brugge
Tuesday, June 12 - Visit the university and classroom, and explore Antwerp
Wednesday, June 13 - Closing lunch
• $215 per person covers several meals and the transportation for the day to Ghent and Brugge; this price does not include the hotel.
• If you are planning to attend, we ask that you register by no later than Jan. 31, 2012; however, the earlier the better in our planning process. If you cannot make the commitment at this time, we will accept late registrations up to March 1, 2012. Our goal is to ask everyone to make your commitment to attend by Jan. 31.
How many are needed for the reunion to occur?
• A minimum # has not been set; we will determine the status by reviewing the registrations by Jan. 31, 2012. Therefore, we ask you to register as soon as possible; if we have a strong early response, then a decision to hold the reunion will be made earlier.
• If there is insufficient interest, all program registrations will be refunded.
• We have rooms booked at the Ibis Hotel at a special Marquette Reunion rate:
- Single room at 79 € (plus city tax of 1.5 € per night)
- Double room (one big bed) at 93 € (plus city tax of 1.5 € per night)
- Twin room (2 separate beds) at 93 € (plus city tax of 1.5 € per night)
Prices above include the breakfast buffet
• If you wish to reserve a room, please fill out the form and email it or fax it to the Ibis Hotel directly; please refer to Reference #114667.
• We encourage you do make these reservations also by Jan. 31, 2012
• Flight arrangements are on your own.
• An hourly bus is available from the Brussels Airport to Antwerp; we will provide details later.
Ways you can help
• We are looking for individuals from each of the respective 20 years to contact other classmates to invite them to come; if you can assist, please contact Andrea Gunn at 414.288.4781
• If anyone would like to put together a PowerPoint presentation for the reunion with photos from the year you went, please contact Joe Terrian.
• If you would care to provide financial support for the program (e.g., lunch in Ghent, reunion gifts, etc.), please contact Joe Terrian.