Progress Report for December 7, 2011
The Reaffirmation Initiative
- Marquette University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, an agent of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Marquette University voluntarily goes through the peer reaffirmation process that includes preparation of a self-study followed by a campus visit every 10 years. The next campus visit and review will take place in AY2013-14.
- The present reaffirmation initiative has been conceptualized as a means to tell Marquette’s story and in doing so to document, using evidence, the ways in which we meet and exceed stated criteria. This is also a moment to reflect on what we do and how we do it in order to identify areas where we can grow, excel and lead. As such, the theme for the present initiative is Reflect - Affirm - Inspire.
- The steering committee is chaired by Gary Meyer (Vice Provost for Undergraduate Programs and Teaching) and co-chaired by Toby Peters (Associate Senior Vice President). It includes 15 individuals representing a cross-section of the university, selected for their knowledge, expertise and experience. The steering committee met 21 times between May and October in preparation for the initiative.
- Nine subcommittees have been created, staffed and charged. Five are centered on the primary reaffirmation criteria that include (1) Mission (2) Ethical and Responsible Conduct (3) Teaching and learning - Quality, Resources and Support (4) Teaching and Learning - Evaluation and Improvement and (5) Resources, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness. Other subcommittees include (6) Federal Compliance (7) Evidence (8) Communication and (9) Site Visit.
- Fall 2011 and spring 2012 - subcommittees organized; evidence gathered and self-study outline created
- Summer 2012 and fall 2012 - first self-study draft completed and reviewed
- Spring 2013 - self-study draft released to campus for review and comment
- Summer 2013 and fall 2013 - Self-study finalized and submitted to HLC
- Fall 2013 or spring 2014 - peer review team visits Marquette
- Marquette Matters article published October 6, 2011
- Marquette online Newsbrief announces website October 24, 2011
- Accreditation website launched October 24, 2011 (www.marquette.edu/accreditation); includes video remarks from Fr. Pilarz
- Marquette Tribune stories published October 27, 2011 and November 15, 2011
- 33 campus presentations by co-chairs (October 17, 2011-February 9, 2012); Committee on Enrollment and Academic Excellence presentation December 7, 2011; “leave behind” created for attendees
First Quarter 2012 Goals
- Complete campus presentations
- Ensure subcommittees working toward draft outline
- Develop 2012 communication plan
- Prepare team for HLC Annual Conference (April 2012)